Apr 19, 2011

How important is the interview process?


Some of you might be wondering why we need to keep attending interviews over a period of time even though you are not looking for a change, but I would like to let you know that it is important to attend an interview.
I joined a company as a fresher and was in the same company for a very long time and had the confidence that getting a job is very easy and I can change whenever I wish to as their so many openings for a post of senior test engineer, but when I started attending them I realized that it is not as easy as I thought. Every time I would give an interview and come back I would be very excited and happy and also confident that I would be selected as I have taken up so many roles in my current position, but I was not getting selected. Then slowly fear creped in making me feel that I am not as good as I thought.
I started analyzing the questions being asked to me in these entire interview and the answers I gave in return. Then I realized that sometimes even though you know the answers/solutions to a question/query you do not how to put it across to the interviewer and he is unimpressed with you.
To master the skills of marketing yourself some important point to remember are:
  1. Never go for an interview without preparation.
  2. Whatever you speak should be clear and precise.
  3. Speak to the interviewer in a normal tone as you speak to any other colleague in office, which will allow you to perform better and speak freely.
  4. When some question is not clear stop the interviewer and ask him for more details, so that you can provide him with the right data.
  5. Keep you calm and always have a paper and pen ready with you to jot down any details you need to know from the interviewer.
  6. At the end of the interview always be ready with few questions for the interviewer (don’t forcefully ask questions just because he has asked you to)-- there can be a lot of things you would like to know about your new company , about their practices, the project they plan to put you infect.
Hence finally attending an interview will make it clear to you that what other companies in the market are expecting out of their ideal candidates and help you to prepare accordingly.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment